Friday 24 July 2015

Navigation training November '14

On Sunday 9th November 2015 Gary Tompsett led a wonderful day of navigation training for everyone interested in taking part or assisting with the Watershed Challenge. There were 10 of us in total, including Kirsty who was on standby for any incidents which may have occurred. We were a mixed ability in terms of confidence but all keen to get out onto the hill and learn new skills.We started with some exercises in estimating distance. This is a big weakness of mine and has landed me in trouble on numerous occasions. Without this ability it's very hard to locate yourself on the map and can make identifying your destination impossible. For example, in the past I've assumed that I'm next to a hill that I can see on the map because there's a hillock beside me. I have been incapable of realising that the hill couldn't possibly be so close to me and that the bump beside me will barely register on a 1:50000 map. We looked at points in the distance and estimated how far we were from them and then checked our accuracy with the map. I actually felt that maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought but I realise in the past I've got myself in sticky situations because I don't pay enough attention or observe details that will help. And I make assumptions, bad assumptions! It was really useful to have 1:250000 and 1:50000 maps and really observe the difference in detail.
We practiced counting our paces to measure distance and I'm pretty sure that I could estimate 100m in distance by looking now (but maybe only in favourable light and with useful landmarks), and also by counting steps. Over lunch Gary chatted to us about his experience of being a motivational and supportive part of various ventures; he loves helping people achieve their goals and finding new limits and it was really inspiring hearing him talk about a few events. Having him encouraging us and believing in us is brilliant and we're very lucky that he has got involved.
We split into groups a couple of times during the day so that we could work together finding routes. As I've experienced in the past, this led to me peering over someone's shoulder and saying, 'if you say so...'.
We practised taking bearings and walking on bearings. Despite us all checking we had the same bearing the group diversified very quickly! This wasn't too surprising given there were a couple of obstacles and that we were on a very steep slope, but it was a good reminder on why we need to be very careful when walking on bearings.
We had a bit of a breather to discuss this and then practised orientating the maps without using the compass and also locating ourselves on the map. It was a really useful exercise as I'm very guilty of bending my surroundings to fit what's on the map and many a trip has involved detours and tears as a result of this. It was consoling to hear that this is a common mistake!
Things to remember:
  • Use elevation reading on watch and compare to contour markings,
  • Don't rely on tracks marked on the map, Use the gradient of surrounding terrain to help,
  • Remember you can't always see everything that's on the map,
  • Slope aspect orientation.
Once Gary had told us these things they seemed obvious but they never have been in the past when I've needed these skills!
Gary encouraged us to use technology and had a couple of GPS tools for us to use. I'm a bit of a technophobe and worry that being reliant on an electronic device could really let us down, but Gary was suggesting we use as much technology as possible and use it all in conjunction with the map. A lot of us had GPS watches which is obviously very useful in terms of calculating distance and having accurate timings. Some of them have elevation readings but they are less reliable than altimeters, which work by pressure.
Gary is very good at collecting clues and using handrails to keep us exactly on track. Despite him pointing this out I still crossed fences and streams without noticing. I find it really hard to be aware of these important navigational features unless I'm really focusing on them whereas Gary has a real knack for quietly observing them. It's so easy to trot along, having a blether with someone and not even realise the distance you've covered, never mind any features. I must get out of this habit!
We got to the top of Cort ma Law in time for a stunning sunset and as we watched planes seemingly flying into the sun a thick layer of cloud crept up and engulfed us. Gary was very pleased that we could try navigating in very different conditions but the cloud disappeared as quickly as it came and coated the land around us in quite an eerie way. It was very beautiful to see.
It quickly got dark at this point and we tried to estimate distances in this light and needless to say we found it much harder. We had crossed quite a few freezing bogs by now and my feet became very painful, therefore I didn't pay so much attention to where we were going on the way back. This is a real concern for the watershed challenge; it will be cold and wet at times and I must be able to think about where we're going, regardless.
It was a point that had been raised throughout the day, don't wait until you're in an exposed position to work out where you're going next. Always try to think about these things in advance so you already have a compass bearing set for when you reach a summit. Another good practice I need to develop.
The day finished with a little drama as a couple of the local farm houses had been watching our torches coming down the hill. The first people who spoke to us were concerned that we were an elderly group that they had seen earlier. The second man, the landowner, was less concerned about our well being and far more interested to know what we were up to. He quickly realised we were unlikely to be smuggling his sheep quite so brazenly with head torches on but he did suggest in future if we were to do night exercises that we gave him a weeks notice. I think the idea that we let landowners know we're using rights of way through their land is unrealistic but it's an interesting thought for us, especially in the central belt where Stuart and I have discovered we will be going very close to people's homes.
This has been such a useful and inspiring day and has given me quite a bit of confidence. I'm really looking forward to getting out and trying my new skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment